Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Banana Bread Pancakes

So, not only did I go a bit overboard with buying avocados I also went kind of crazy with buying bananas. Ralph's had them on sale for $.49/lb and I snatched a few bunches. It seemed like a good idea at the time because I haven't seen that price in eons and knew that it would be a long time before it was sold at the price again, if ever. But now they are all super ripe to the point that I won't have enough time to eat them one by one. So, I needed to figure out how to get rid of them asap before they turned black on me. And then I remembered that the Management (sorry, I don't know your real name!), the incredibly hilarious blogger behind A Prince and Prozac said that her favorite dessert for breakfast is banana pancakes. So, I thank her for today's foodie post. Well, her and Jessica, the blogger behind How Sweet Eats, because I adapted the recipe from her.

Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Banana Bread Pancakes
adapted by How Sweet Eats



1 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 C milk
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp butter, melted

Toppings:
Maple Syrup

Makes 6 pancakes

Whisk the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and unsweetened cocoa powder in a bowl until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher until lumpy with very small banana chunks. Pour the milk, butter, and the vanilla bean paste into the mashed bananas and mix. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients but be careful not to over mix. Heat a pan on the stove over medium heat. Use butter or oil. With a 1/3 measuring cup, pour pancake batter onto the pan into a circular shape. Cook each side for 2-3 or until the top bubbles and the bottom is golden brown. If you want, you can keep the pancakes warm in the oven at 180 degrees so that all the pancakes will remain warm until you are ready to serve and eat.

I decided to cook my pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head with the help of a cookie cutter. 



Ear went first. Chomp!

And now, I will smell like pancakes for the rest of the day, which I think works as a pretty good perfume. 
 
**Btw, Marisa I hope you enjoy these pancakes for your breakfast this morning =)


 

2 comments:

  1. Jessica! Thank you so much for mentioning me in your post! You just made my day!

    Also, I can't tell you how much I love that these are Mickey Mouse shaped! Even more awesome!

    Tell you what: next time I get paid and have money for groceries (haha) I will make these pancakes and post about them with a nice link back to you. Deal? Deal. :)

    ReplyDelete