Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Return of Overnight Oats


Nothing exciting happening in the kitchen today but I did make one of my favorite breakfast meals – overnight oatmeal in a jar. I love eating overnight oatmeal in a jar because it’s fun and super quick and easy to prepare. All of the work is done the night before, requires no cooking, and makes for a perfect on-the-run breakfast when you are in a rush to get to work or school.  The common ingredients featured in overnight oatmeal include milk, yogurt, oats, sliced bananas, and chia seeds. The oats absorb the milk and yogurt, which act as the “cooking” agents. The sliced bananas act as natural sweeteners and the chia seeds provide the oats with a chewy texture and help thicken the oatmeal.  For me, the best part of eating overnight oatmeal is in an almost empty peanut butter jar because I absolutely love peanut butter or any nut butter for that matter. I also like eating my oatmeal this way because I usually scarf my food down and this helps me slow down and really enjoy what I’m eating.
As a huge nut butter lover, there is nothing more fun than scooping nut butter from the bottom and sides of the jar. MMMM! 

 Here is a breakdown of today’s overnight oatmeal mix:

1/3 C rolled oats
1/3 C milk
1/3 nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 banana, sliced
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp TJ’s fig butter
1 almost empty nut butter jar

Morning toppings:
A few chocolate chips (yummy!)
A sprinkle of Heath English toffee bits
A sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut
A handful of walnuts

Served along with a cup of chocolate raspberry coffee.


 

 

Super yummy breakfast. I think it took me 15 minutes to devour this deliciousness? If you haven't had overnight oatmeal before, you should definitely try it. If you don't like cold oatmeal, give it a shot anyway or nuke it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds. It's definitely a fun spin on oatmeal. =)


2 comments:

  1. oooo I have heard of overnight oats but like a couple years ago...This does sound yummy and the serving in a near empty peanut butter jar sounds devine mmmm :D
    I will probably steal this idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally should! It MAKES the oatmeal. I promise you will not be disappointed. I'm actually getting close to finishing one of my nut butter jars, which I am pretty excited about =)

    ReplyDelete