Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chocolate Apple Crisp

I had another round of insomnia last night. I had a hard time falling asleep and then tossed and turned in my bed from 2:30 – 5:00 am. I’m not sure what exactly caused my insomnia. Maybe it was from working out at the gym? I heard somewhere that if you exercise at night it will prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep? Oh well. Anyway, around 5 am I finally gave up hope on getting any more sleep at that point so I decided to try out a recipe I had come up with the other day.

Chocolate Apple Crisp



Filling

1 apple, cored & chopped
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts 

Topping

1/4 C oats
1/4 C chopped walnuts
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
1 tbsp cocoa nibs or chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an oven-safe bowl. Core and chop the apple. I used Braeburn but any apple will do. I also left the skin on but feel free to peel it. Roughly chop the walnuts or use pecans if you wish. In the oven-safe bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling. In a separate bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping.  Make sure that the butter cold and crumbled into small bits with the other ingredients. Spread the topping completely over the filling. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm.


Before
After
 Eat it for dessert or be like me and eat it for breakfast. Diet of champions!

Chomp! Chomp!

No comments:

Post a Comment