Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kobacha Squash Oatmeal

Kobacha squash is available year round, which is awesome since it’s definitely one of my favorite squashes. I love that it has a long shelf life if stored properly, that it’s natural sweetness, and that it can be used many dishes. Despite this, I usually just steam it, mash it up, and call it a day. However, my mom bought an unusually large-sized one this time and a girl can only eat mashed kobacha squash so many times. And so last night, as I was pondering about what to eat for breakfast, I thought maybe kobacha squash oatmeal? I figured that if people put pumpkin in their oatmeal, why not kobacha? I’m all about experimentation, and worst case scenario I’d eat plain ol’ cereal if I didn’t like it. Well, it turns out that I didn’t need the cereal because this kobacha squash oatmeal was a complete success. It was thick, sweet, and delicious. It is one of the best oatmeal dishes I have ever had and I will be making it again for sure!




Ingredients:

1/3 cup of old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup of mashed kobacha squash
3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk

1 teaspoon of brown sugar

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed


Optional: 1/4 cup of granola

Directions:

Combine oats, squash, and almond milk into a pot over medium heat. Stir the ingredients until they are just combined. Once it reaches to a boil, stir occasionally for another 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and continue stirring occasionally for another 5-7 min or until the oatmeal reaches your desired consistency. Once it is done, mix in the ground flaxseed. Transfer to a bowl or eat it straight from the pot. We’ll call it rustic style =). Add desired toppings and voile!  3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk



BTW - I went to Ralph's this morning to pickup the ingredients for a chocolate treat I plan on making tomorrow morning before work. I'm excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment