Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Break from the Fast

For the most part, my breakfasts normally consist of oatmeal, parfaits, or cereal. But when I woke up this morning, I was craving for something sweet and savory. So, I decided to take a break from the fast and make something different.

 
 

The other day, Sprouts was having a major sale on everything in their frozen section where everything was marked down by 20% off. I took advantage of this opportunity by purchasing some items that I've always wanted to try but never have due to the high prices. One item in particular that I was curious to try is Kashi's 7 grain waffles. For me, Kashi's products can be somewhat of a hit or a miss because not all of their products are healthy even though they market it as such. Nutrition-wise, this waffle is a hit. Each serving consists of 150 calories, 7g of dietary fiber, 3g of sugar, and 4g of protein. In addition, the waffles are primarily made up of natural ingredients (whole wheat flower, oats, barley, buckwheat..).

Since I just wasn't feeling my usual breakfast selections, I decided that now would be a perfect time to test these waffles out and serve it as the sweet side of my craving.

I warmed up 1 waffle in the oven at 400 degrees for 5 minutes per the directions on the box. When it was done, I jazzed it up with sliced bananas, a dollop of creamy Barney Butter, Great Harvest Cville Cluster granola, chia seeds, and cacao nibs.


The verdict? Delicious! Before I tasted it, I was praying it wouldn't taste like cardboard but it definitely exceeded by expectations. It's sweet, crunchy, and not at all cardboard-y!


The savory side of my breakfast was half an avocado with an egg inside topped with 2 slices of jalapeno, salt, pepper, and Japanese rice seasoning. I baked this in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. The egg had that perfect eggs over medium texture which I love.

Overall, this was a great breakfast. It's healthy, hearty, and satisfied both of my cravings. I'll definitely be making this again in the future. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment