Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Thin Mint Cookie Oatmeal

I love Girl Scout cookies and I think that my ultimate fave is the Thin Mints with Samoas coming in at a very close second. I like the thin mints for its crunchy texture, chocolate-y goodness, and the mint because it acts as a palate cleanser (kinda like toothpaste? I’m weird, I know.) And so continuing with my very necessary theme of turning desserts into breakfast, I decided to make Thin Mint Cookie Oatmeal. This is definitely not your normal oatmeal and would make a perfect warm, sunny day oatmeal. Unless you’re weird like me and eat cold oatmeal on a cold day because you give in to that theory that cold + cold = warm. You know, how eating/drinking something cold on a cold day will somehow make you warm inside? Anyway, I digress. Let’s get back to breakfast shall we?

Thin Mint Cookie Oatmeal


1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt (or any yogurt)
2/3 cup milk (or 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup milk)
2  teaspoon cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1.5 teaspoon chia seeds

*Toppings:
Granola
Nut butter
Wild flower

*Optional but highly recommended, especially the flower for ambiance. =)

 



















The night before, combine the oatmeal, yogurt, milk/water, cacao powder, peppermint extract and chia seeds into a jar or bowl. Give it a good ol’ stir before sealing or covering it up and storing it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, stir the oatmeal again and add toppings of your choice or eat by itself. Serve with a cup of joe or glass of milk. Enjoy!

** Add or reduce the amount of cacao powder and peppermint extract depending on your palate. Also, the addition of chia seeds isn’t necessary but helps thicken the oatmeal. If you don’t have chia seeds, maybe try using more yogurt and a little less liquid. Either way, I’m sure it will be tasty. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment