Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Scones

I think I went a bit overboard with the chocolate raspberry coffee yesterday because I had a very difficult time sleeping last night. It took me around 1.5 hours to fall asleep and then I kept on tossing and turning from 2:30 – 5:00 am when I finally gave up on any hope of being able to sleep. In times like these, I usually pitter patter to the kitchen and bake. So, off to the kitchen I went.
I have recently been working on a scone recipe and have been making a few tweaks here and there to healthify it without making it taste like cardboard. I absolutely love scones but the ones sold at cafes and restaurants are more like full-fat than low-fat. This is a bit devastating for me because that means I can’t have them as much as I’d like to. So, I decided that I would try to make a healthy, low-fat scone that would allow me to eat it on a regular basis without expanding my waist line. I knew from the start that this would be a difficult task because the fatty ingredients are what make pastries and desserts so tasty. On top of that, there is the stigma that healthy pastries are not worth eating because they often turn out disgusting. However, these obstacles fueled my desire to find a way to eat a tasty scone without all the guilt. After a few revisions, I think I have managed to come up with a healthy and cardboard-less scone recipe. They are a bit denser than a normal scone due to the lack of white flour, but nevertheless, I am quite satisfied with the results.

Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Scones
Ingredients
·         3/4 C whole wheat flour
·         3/4 C oat flour*
·         3/4 C rolled oats
·         1/4 C white sugar
·         3 tbsp ground chia seeds**
·         2 tsp baking powder
·         1/2 tsp salt
·         1 Tbsp cinnamon sugar
·         6 Tbsp coconut butter, cold temperature
·         2 large eggs, room temperature
·         2 tsp vanilla bean paste
·         1/2 cup low fat buttermilk, room temperature
·         3/4 C chocolate chips

* If you don’t have oat flour, just blend raw oats in a food processor or magic bullet until it reaches a flour texture
** If you don’t have ground chia seeds, just blend whole chia seeds in a magic bullet or coffee grinder until the seeds turn into a powder form.  

Before
After



















Directions
·         Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
·         In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla bean paste, and low fat buttermilk. Set aside 2 tablespoons for brushing the tops of each scone.
·         In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
·         Cut coconut butter into chunks and add into the dry ingredients. Mix the butter into the dry ingredients until a course, grainy texture is formed. Add wet ingredients and stir until a dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips.
·         Transfer dough onto a chopping board or smooth surface that has been generously covered with flour. Mold the dough into a circular shape and 1 inch in height.
·         Coat a 2 in round cookie cutter with flour to cut dough into individual scones. Shape the remaining dough into a circular form and continue cutting with the cookie cutter.
·         Brush the top of each scone with the remaining egg mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and unsweetened shredded coconut.
·         Lay scones on a cookie sheet and leave a 2 inch space between each scone.
·         Bake for about 15 minutes until the scones reach a golden brown color.  Serve fresh out of the oven.



Top with jam, butter, or a spread of your choice if desired. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment