Thursday, April 26, 2012

Buzzin On Sweets

This morning I was buzzin on sweets. I woke up at 4:30 am to bake cupcakes for my friend's birthday. It took me awhile to figure out what kind of cupcakes I wanted to bake though because she is a very good friend of mine. So, I wanted to make sure that hers were extra special. I finally decided on margarita cupcakes that I found on the blog, I am baker. I wish I could take credit for this recipe but sadly I cannot. I pretty much followed the entire recipe. The only change I made was that I used Betty Crocker's Pineapple Upside Down Cake Mix minus the canned pineapple. For the recipe, please click on the link below.

Margarita Cupcakes

With sparkling sugar as the "salt" rim
Lime Buttercream frosting

Of course I had to taste test these desserts before giving them to my friend. Overall, they were delicious. My only complaint is that I couldn't really taste the tequila. So, I think next time I will add more. But other than that, this is a pretty good recipe.

All packed up and ready to go!

After I had finished making the frosting, the cupcakes still weren't cool enough to frost, so I decided to attempt to bake S'mores Donuts. That's right. I said BAKED S'mores Donuts. As much as I love regular donuts, it requires frying and a ton of oil. I don't have oil by the gallons at home and even if I did I don't know if I'd necessarily use it for frying donuts for a few reasons. (1) Using that much oil for donuts seems kind of wasteful. (2) I think seeing the process of donuts being made would disgust me and the last thing I want is to be traumatized because donuts are awesome. It's just something I don't want to see made. So, I decided that baking them would be a healthier alternative, both physically and mentally.  So, here is the breakdown:


Baked S'mores Donuts

Ingredients:

1 Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuit dough (do not get the flay version)
1 C milk chocolate chips
1 C mini marshmallows
1/4 C ground graham crackers

Directions:

Bake buttermilk biscuit dough according to the directions on the can. While they are baking, place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals. Stir the chocolate chips after each interval. It only took me 60 seconds to melt the chocolates but it really depends on your microwave. When the biscuits are ready, dunk the biscuits into the chocolate and cover it halfway. (If you want to cover the entire biscuit, melt 2 cups of chocolate chips instead of 1). Place the chocolate covered biscuits onto a rack. Top with mini marshmallows and sprinkle ground graham crackers. You can either let the chocolate completely dry before eating or immediately dig in. Your choice. Since I have no patience, I ate it right away. Yum.  









3 comments:

  1. Looks like you did pretty well today! Both creations look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was pretty happy with the results but I was also pretty happy with eating leftover cupcake batter, frosting, and chocolate for breakfast. Diet of champions =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some might say the cupcakes are too lemony, but don't listen to them!!! I love lemon, and the sugary goodness, and all of it really.

    Can't believe I didn't see the s'more donuts!

    ReplyDelete